Traditional Orthodontic Braces
Traditional metal braces are one of the most common, tried-and-true methods of straightening teeth. Many of our patients in The Woodlands near Spring and Conroe love to coordinate the color of their braces with holidays, their school, and their favorite colors. Metal braces give you the option to do this in a fashionable way!
If you have a crooked, gapped, or uneven smile, traditional braces are a great way to give you the straight smile of your dreams. They can also be used to correct under- and overbites as well as certain jaw issues.
Benefits of Traditional Braces
- They’re suitable for patients of any age.
- They can help tackle more complex alignment issues that other systems can’t handle.
- You can customize their appearance by choosing different-colored elastic bands, which helps make the process more fun for children especially.
- They’re much more comfortable these days than in decades past due to advancements in technology.
- They can usually close gaps and move teeth more quickly than some systems, such as Invisalign.
Things to Know About Traditional Braces
With traditional braces, it’s important that you stay on top of your oral hygiene routine. While it might be more difficult to reach some places in your mouth, you shouldn’t use that as an excuse to cut back on how you brush and floss. Neglecting your oral health can quickly result in periodontal disease, cavities, or uneven tooth staining when you have metal braces.
You should avoid foods that might harm your metal braces, such as anything chewy, sticky, or hard. These foods can pull your brackets off your teeth or cause other damage. You might also need to change the way you bite into foods, as doing something as simple as taking a normal bite of an apple can damage your brackets.
If you’d like to talk to Dr. Pratt about traditional braces, call our The Woodlands, TX office near Magnolia, Spring, Conroe and Tomball, TX at 281-367-0050 (Woodlands) or 936-596-1200 (Montgomery) to make an appointment today!