If you have an overbite, the Forsus appliance can help. This device is a rod with a spring attached that affixes to your braces to move your teeth into alignment. This spring applies continuous pressure to your jaw, pushing your bottom teeth forward while moving your upper teeth back.
The Forsus appliance accomplishes similar results to the headgear of decades past but is much more comfortable to wear. In most cases, it can even eliminate the need for corrective jaw surgery.
Benefits of Forsus
- The Forsus appliance is quick to install, only requiring one appointment.
- It allows you to move your jaw normally, meaning eating and speech won’t be affected.
- There are no gaps in the coil, so you don’t have to worry about food becoming trapped.
- The Forsus appliance is not bulky and is easy to clean.
- Compliance with elastics is not as vital with this appliance, allowing Dr. Pratt to properly correct overjets when elastic wear is not ideal.
Things to Know
Your braces’ Forsus appliance can break or become dislodged if you move your jaw excessively. Try not to wiggle the spring or open your mouth too wide, as that could disrupt the coil. Also, steer clear of sticky or hard foods that might damage your Forsus appliance.
You might notice some discomfort as your teeth adjust to the new appliance. This is normal and should lessen in a few days. If your soreness doesn’t go away and you find the spring gets in your way, contact you’re the Woodlands, TX orthodontist, Dr. Kendra Pratt, as you might need an adjustment on the fit.
Keeping your appliance and your teeth clean is key to having a healthy braces experience. Aim to brush your teeth immediately after eating, so that food particles don’t have a chance to stay stuck in your braces or your appliance.
If you’d like to have the Forsus appliance added to your braces, give Dr. Pratt’s office in The Woodlands, TX near Magnolia and Tomball, TX, a call at 281-367-0050 today!